HOW WE WORK FOR YOU
When you become a member of the American College of Radiology, you automatically become a member of the New York State Radiological Society (NYSRS) and part of your ACR dues are transferred to the New York Society to support its activities.
Here is what the NYSRS does for its members:
Participation in the ACR
The NYSRS promotes legislation, regulations and policies favorable to radiologists and their patients.
The Society’s lobbyist, counsel and members meet with state legislators, legislative staff and state and local government agency staff . Working collaboratively with other professional associations, they submit information and formal written comments on many legislative and regulatory proposals. Here are some of the Society’s accomplishments in 2020:
- The Society initiated a campaign for a state mandate for insurance coverage of appropriate screening for colon cancer.
- The Society successfully opposed legislation that would have allowed physician assistants to perform fl uoroscopy with no specifi c didactic or clinical education and training standards.
- The Society successfully thwarted legislation to expand a podiatrist’s scope of practice to operate and treat up to a patient’s knee.
- The Society joined coalitions opposing full repeal of COVID related liability protections; one percent across the board Medicaid cuts; and penalties on physicians for discontinuing care to a patient.
The Society’s website www.nysrs.org has an Advocacy section that highlights its legislative and regulatory activities.
The NYSRS actively supports the professional development of radiologists. Young Professionals and Residents attend and report at the Society’s quarterly board meetings, and the Society’s semi-annual member meetings.
In 2020, the Society again sponsored a career planning workshop session for Residents and the fi rst two monthly career nights for Young Professionals.
In 2020, the Society sponsored the participation of 20 Residents and three Young Professionals in the ACR’s leadership training program.
The NYSRS promotes the continuing education of radiologists through presentations at its member meetings, co-sponsorship of special educational presentations by local chapters and substantive quarterly reports by the Society’s committees. The reports are published on the Society’s website. Society members received up to 38 CME credits for attending Society and local chapter educational presentations in 2020. Members may participate remotely in the Society’s semiannual member meetings.
PARTICIPATION IN THE ACR
The NYSRS is the second largest ACR state chapter in the country. It sends a large delegation, including Residents and Young Professionals, to the annual ACR meeting in Washington and participates in the ACR lobby day in Congress. Society members currently serve in leadership positions in the ACR including President of the College and Vice Chair of The Board of Chancellors.
The ACR is the leading advocate for radiologists in the nation. In 2020, it:
- Led a coalition of more than 65 healthcare organizations, representing more than one million healthcare providers, that helped convince Congress to mitigate the budget neutrality cuts that would have slashed physician Medicare payment rates by 10.2 percent.
- Successfully worked with other physician organizations and Congress to ensure emergency funding access for radiologists to help their practices survive during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Successfully lobbied CMS to encourage Medicare Advantage plans not to use their prior-authorization requirements.
The ACR also off ers its members a wide array of educational, training and practice standard development opportunities. Members receive the acclaimed monthly Journal of the ACR and daily updates on clinical and policy news.
RECENT SOCIETY REPORTS
- MINUTES OF BOARD MEETINGS
- Quality and Safety Committee
- Legislative and Counsel Report
- Grassroots Committee
- Economics Committee
- Physics Committee
- Resident and Fellow Section Committee
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Interventional Radiology Committee
- Breast Imaging Committee
- Young Physician Section Committee
- Interspeciality/MSSNY Committee
- IT Committee
- Radiation Oncology Committee